The Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW) Salt Spring Island Club (SSI) was founded in 1997. It is a member of the Canada-wide CFUW which is in turn part of Graduate Women International (GWI). CFUW SSI is one of the most active clubs in Canada.
When and Where We Meet
Members get together on the last Saturday of the month from September to May at 10:00 am. Meetings are generally held at the Crofton Room, Harbour House Hotel, Ganges, Salt Spring Island. The program consists of a brief business meeting followed by speakers on a variety of topics. Please refer to the Calendar Web page for current meeting dates. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Special Interest Groups are an integral part of the Club’s activities. Small groups gather at least once a month to pursue such subjects as literature, bridge, French conversation and other subjects.
- Promote high standards of public education in Canada, advanced study and research by women, and a sound concept of lifelong learning.
- Advocate for the advancement of the status of women, human rights and the common good locally, nationally and internationally.
- Promote cooperation, networking, support and understanding among women.
- Encourage and enable women to apply their knowledge and skills in leadership and decision-making in all aspects of the political, social, cultural, educational and scientific fields.
- Administer a scholarship/bursary fund known as the CFUW SSI Scholarship/Bursary Fund in accordance with the Club Scholarship Policy.
- Administer the HOPE project – an initiative that helps disadvantaged girls in countries around the world complete their secondary education. To minimize overhead costs, we partner with the Commonwealth Countries League Education Fund.